4.27.2008

Thoughtful Thoughts

The more
I know
I know
I know
I know
I know
the less

I used to attribute the above quote to my father. He liked to write it that way, and he liked to say it.

It wasn’t until after he had died that I saw it written this way, and by somebody else! ... “All things I thought I knew; but now confess, the more I know I know, I know the less. (John Owen).

It seems my dad liked to “tweak” things like I do. :o)

My father and I didn’t have a perfect relationship, we argued a lot usually about what each of us thought we knew better than the other. He said it was because we were Irish - a passionate people.

I do believe that “Passion”, in all of its guises, is a part of any kind of “Love.”

It does seem we are always hardest on people we Love the most, maybe it is because we have faith that the Love will always be there. If we lose our heads from time to time - we always keep our hearts.

It also seems as our relationships mature, and as we mature… we become softer and easier on each other, more understanding and respectful of our experiences, more thoughtful, more sweet.

Even though he died 28 years ago (when I was 21), somehow our relationship continues to mature. I better understand, now that I am older, the things he knew and wanted to teach me. Every moment and memory is precious.

Peace
Keren

1 comment:

Kevin Beck said...

Karen,
That's great. My grandmother used to say the same thing. I hadn't thought about it in years. Thanks. Now I *know* where it come from. :)