4.22.2008

Undoing Criticism

Criticism of others is, essentially, self-criticism turned toward someone else. That's been know for a long time. Knowing it, ans recognizing it, though, are two different things. A lot of people who have been steeped in religious traditions of one type or another have a deep sense of self-criticism. It stems from pure motives. An attempt to improve, to grow, to strengthen oneself. An attempt to purify thoughts and actions. To repent. To climb Jacob's ladder.

So much of that is based on a belief that we're not as perfect as we should be. That sort of self-loathing is a reflection of a belief (often) that God is not happy with us unless we're doing, thinking, being something other than what we are right now.

But how can we possibly be any different than we are at the moment? We can only be what we are. "Just as I am" the old hymn tells us. Just as I am. That's enough becuase that's all. Tomorrow will surely be different becuase tomorrow is not today. We're bound to change, and that will be enough for that moment.

But worrying about it, stressing over it, forcing it to happen brings only anxiety. Be at peace with your self. God is. And when you know that in your innermost self, you'll turn that love inside out and be at peace with others. The criticism will end. The confusion will cease. And love will remain.

Plus, when you see others criticizing you, you'll know that they are really speaking of yourself. Having that little insight can really lighten your load.

1 comment:

Keren said...

Hi Kevin. this is so true. I love the "just as I am" reference

It seems the times I am most down, and feel the worst are the times when I feel responsibe for a negative situation.

One way I am now learning to really feel God/LOve in me, doing His thing, is when "God Loves me just as I am" comes to my heart, and I am able to forgive "me" and then I am able to forgive others easily and freely, then negative situations dissolve.

Peace
Keren